Friday, January 1, 2010

Channeling the Excitement of a New Year



Hopefully, all is well and you are ready to rejoin with your students and colleagues after a well-deserved break!  I've thoroughly enjoyed the last couple of weeks.  With pajama days, family get-togethers, food, parties, gifts, late-night movies, and the like, my children and I feel a bit spoiled.  But, sooner than we can blink, we'll be back to the hectic life juggling school, homework, ballgames, church, and family time.  We are blessed to have these special times and make the most of all our time together.

I've been grinding at record speed to complete lesson plans and finish up those last minute grades.  I can safely say I'm about 75% ready for my little sponges next week.  I can just image the exciting conversations and bubbling energy, which is what lead to this post.  So...

Just how do YOU manage the first day after winter break?

I've learned that most younger elementary students have never heard the word "resolution".  And, because I'm a stickler to increasing vOcAbuLaRy...my first activity on day one of the New Year revolves around this word!  My students and I create a colorful class chart during the activities listed below.
  • First, we examine the word "r e s o l u t i o n"... syllables, prefix, suffix, base word.
  • Next, it's definition time.  This is a great time to practice dictionary skills!
  • After we have the gist, we discuss examples of resolutions for our parents, grandparents, friends, etc.
  • Then, each child gets a few moments to reflect upon the previous year.  They each write and draw about something they said or did that was not their best.  They are allowed to share their mistake with the class.
  • Then, each child gets a few moments to write and draw about a resolution for the New Year that will help them be their best.  They are again allowed to share.
  • Finally, the finished products are either displayed on a bulletin board or placed in a portfolio for future reference.
This activity usually takes around 45+ minutes for 2nd graders, depending upon how many students share their work.  Following this activity, we can usually hit the ground running with little to no interruptions.

Please share your best "First Day Back" Activities!!

No comments :

Post a Comment