Thursday, January 7, 2010

Thursday's Thought



We've had our FIRST snow day of the school year and will enjoy another tomorrow.  The snow fell late this morning and quickly covered the roads, making them a solid sheet of ice by the afternoon.  As I prepare to enjoy my long weekend...right after a long winter break, another wintry moment comes to mind and makes me appreciate our director's decision to close schools BEFORE the snow fell.

The morning went as most cold, wintry mornings...bundling up, hustling and bustling to arrive on time.  On my 20 minute commute across town, the dark snow clouds gave way to a fury of snow that seemed to glisten!  Yes!  We'd get to go back home.

My students had situated themselves and had been writing and sharing about the impending "snow day" for roughly thirty minutes, when the announcement was made!  We would be dismissing NOW...not in a few minutes, but NOW!  Although I've never seen a blizzard, I'd say this was fairly close.  We had no less than three inches of snow pile up in 45 minutes.  For our area...that's debilitating!

Of course, teachers must stay until their last child is safely on the road home...so, by the time I headed toward home the grass and roads were blanketed in the fluffy, white stuff!  My 20 minute commute turned into an hour long battle.  I'm thankful to still be sitting in my pjs this evening!

Please - share your thoughts for Thursday!

No comments :

Post a Comment