Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tuesday's Tip

7-up Sentences
Teaching elementary students to be writers is a challenging task.  I have my students writing "something" everyday...in their journal, classbook pages, spelling word stories, vocabulary word sentences, and the like.  Many times, especially when we first begin writing, the students' sentences are very simple and uninteresting...
"I have a cat." 
"I like pizza."
or
"I can play."

To give my seven and eight year olds an incentive to write longer, more interesting sentences...I display an empty 7-up soda bottle!  Then, I explain that the 7-up bottle is our little reminder to ALWAYS write a sentence with 7 or more words...which makes 7-up sentences.

"I have an old cat that sleeps on my pillow." (10 words)
"My family eats pizza every Friday night." (7 words)
or
"I can play games with my dad." (7 words)

This has worked tremendously well for my students.  Give it a try and come back to let me know if it worked for you.

No comments :

Post a Comment