Monday, February 15, 2010

Special Days for February 14-20th

WOW - too many good choices this week...and, they are all very close together!

Now that Valentine's Day is behind us...we celebrated this "day of love" on Friday with a valentine box contest and sharing valentines with our special classmates.  Because of so many snow days...I just couldn't have a big shindig.  The children certainly enjoyed their afternoon together anyway!  There are MANY exciting days to choose from...again!

Valentine's Day, of course!
 One of the special things I ALWAYS do in my classroom is have a Valentine's Box Contest.  I have THREE winners:  The Most Creative Box, The Most Unusual Box, and The Most Unattractive Box.  The last prize is always the most fun since many of the children "try" to win this one!  I've never really had an "unattractive" box.  They're usually all really cute!  I have other people from our school building to judge.  This eliminates favoritism within the classroom.

My gift to my students is a free homework pass!  I simply create and print these using a program that creates labels, and viola!  (I use PrintMaster.)  Simple, inexpensive, and extremely desirable among students.  When the homework pass is used, it can ONLY be used on a written assignment and must be attached to the assignment for a grade of 100!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chinese New Year is Sunday, February 14th
The Year of the Tiger
Now, I've never actually taught Chinese New Year so this will be a new idea for me.  I recall having a mini-lesson several years ago, but that's it!  However, the more I read and discover, the more I believe this would be a FUN day to promote multiculturalism.  I've posted some links below to help you get started!   Keep in mind, Chinese New Year is a 15-day holiday!  Please...leave a post on your favorite Chinese New Year activities.

*Here is a Chinese lantern art activity with step-by-step pictures.


*WOW - lots of information and activities here including crafts, printables, coloring pages, stories, games and jigsaws.

*WOW - once again MANY more Chinese New Year activities here at Kaboose.com.  The cardboard tube red firecrackers especially look fun!

*www.apples4theteacher.com always archives a wealth of information, activities, and lessons.  Here is the Chinese New Year page.

Maybe these will get you started for Chinese New Year.  Please...share your Chinese New Year activities in the comment section below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Monday, February 15th is Presidents' Day
There are so many ways to teach about Presidents' Day.

Here are some ideas you can focus on:

*our current president, Barack Obama
*the first presidents that helped establish our nation
*a favorite president
*some fun facts about past presidents
*student chosen presidents
*the president's responsibilites
*Washington DC and The White House

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tuesday, February 16th is Mardi Gras
Fat Tuesday?  Ok...this is a brand new one for me.  Anyone have any suggestions for teaching Mardi Gras??  Because of 11 snow days so far since Christmas break, I won't get to indulge in this special day.  However, I plan to find some time next year during our busy days to teach this bit of culture.


*Here is a complete unit plan for 3-4 grade using Illinois state standards.

*Here is a lesson plan for a Miniature Mardi Gras float parade.

*Go to DLTK's site for a more kid-friendly Mardi Gras.



No comments :

Post a Comment