Saturday, July 13, 2013

Science Picture of the Month: July - ANT HILLS!

Recently, I took my children on a day trip to visit my grandmother.  As we drove up, I noticed this very interesting pile of dirt on her walkway.  Now, I wasn't an uptown girl by any means and I didn't live way out in the country on a farm either, but I did spend the majority of my childhood outside, exploring.  Even now, I spend most of my free moments outside and I have NEVER seen a pile of dirt as intriguing.

With a little more investigation and determination to keep my little guy from squashing it, I discovered hundreds of little ants scurrying in and out of each hole!  They were busily carrying one grain of dirt from beneath my grandmother's walkway and dumping it over the edges.  As they all worked ever so diligently, together they created this fantastic ant hill to resemble a flower.





I didn't have my good camera with me, so I relied my phone camera.  The picture doesn't do this thing justice.  After a bit of research, I haven't seen any other pictures or information about ant hills of this nature.   
Does anyone know anything about this species of ant?

Here's the other picture I took - a bird's eye view shot.  Still, the picture doesn't show the distinct details we could see.  The ants just sort of blend in with the dirt.


What a wonderful world it would be if we ALL worked together so diligently!  We could do some magnificent things!  This has inspired me to promote "togetherness" in my classroom even more.  So many times my students try to outperform the other, and my parents have a difficult time connecting with my purpose.  I'm a bit inspired to develop one of my first science lessons around "ANTS" for this coming school year!

Does anyone have "ANT" ideas to share for 4th grade?

No comments :

Post a Comment