Tuesday, July 30, 2013

First Day Fun - "Paper Wad Toss"

So, we are off to a new school year...already.  Teaching 4th grade Math and Science, I struggle for some sort of "Introduction" activity that will engage the students and help me get to know them a bit.  As a student, I always hated the "stand up, tell about yourself, and sit down" routine - B...O...R...I...N...G!!  After all, who can think of something unique to share right then, in front of twenty+ classmates, AND who wants to stand up with 50 beady eyes staring at you, AND how long will the students listen to the same ole', same ole' information from everyone?

I've used the "Paper Wad Toss" for the last three years and ALL of my students have enjoyed it - the most shy all the way to the most outgoing.  Very little prep time, very few supplies needed...only about 30 minutes of your time.  Since I'm a math teacher at heart, I always include "math talk" in this lesson.  We discuss fractions, shapes, quadrants, and lines of symmetry.  I'm also able to make this lesson cross-curricular by discussing facts and opinions.  Below is the basics of the lesson.

Supplies for each student:
* pencil/writing utensil
*1 piece of notebook paper

How to:
1. Using the piece of notebook paper, have students fold it on the "long line of symmetry" (commonly called a "hotdog" fold).  Leaving that fold, the students then fold on the "short line of symmetry".  When the paper is unfolded, this gives them "fourths" or "four rectangles".

"long line of symmetry" fold

"short line of symmetry" fold


2. I then introduce the vocabulary word quadrants and explain to them that in 4th grade math we use the 1st quadrant where all numbers are positive.

3.  I will not allow the students to use certain words in their sentences...love, hate, like.  This eliminates the sentences such as "I love dogs.", "I hate broccoli.", and the "I like candy.".

4.  The students then begin writing.  On one-fourth of the paper, the students write their name.  On a different one-fourth of the paper, the students write an about interesting FACT about themselves they would like to share with the class.  So now that we've used two-fourths of the paper, I begin asking questions such as "What fraction of the paper is left?" or "What fraction of the paper have we used?".  I continue this until the students have three FACTS and all of the fourths are used.



5.  Next, I take up the papers, take a quick glance at them and cut off the fourth with the student's name.  I then pass them back around and each child makes a paper wad to throw at a designated target.



6.  After students throw the paper wad, I call several of them to pick up a paper wad of their choice.  They go back to their seats and read the facts aloud.  The class is given three chances to guess the student being described.  If they "strike out", the student must reveal themselves to the remainder of the class.


This does cause a bit of a commotion, but it's an exciting way to get the students engaged in learning a little about one another.  You will find out real fast which students like pizza and play a lot of video games!  I also use this as a pre-assessment for spelling, language mechanics, sentence structure, handwriting, fact/opinion, and math vocabulary.  

No comments :

Post a Comment