Wednesday, July 24, 2013

"Frugal Teaching?" Series: Tip #3

My last teaching tip involved cleaning the big shower dry erase boards in my classroom.  Continuing on that idea, I began thinking about how teaching math requires A LOT of practice...everyday.  I have a classroom set of student size dry erase boards.  As a new teacher 14 years ago, I was uncertain what to use for erasers.  Some students automatically used their fingers, then within minutes had it wiped across their face and clothes...yuck!  Others went straight for the tissue box...that was a no, no...too expensive, we need those for the cold season!!!

Frugal Teaching Tip #3 - Save Your Socks!

I don't know the specifics of when I finally discovered the frugal solution...but, since I can remember I've used socks as erasers.  Socks my children have outgrown, socks with holes, socks whose mate has been eaten by the washer/dryer monster, socks with broken elastic, any and all socks that no longer seem useful or are just taking up space in the drawer!  I began calling them...

SOCK BUDDIES

 
 Sock Buddies are cheap and I don't cringe when I have to throw them away.  They are just the right size for holding the dry erase markers, too.  I keep a special tub in my classroom labeled "Markers and Sock Buddies".  Handing these out, preparing for use, and collecting these is a super time saver...as long as the students don't tie a knot in the sock!  These guys are simple to clean...just pop them in the washer on hot and viola, they are ready to go again.  I usually only wash mine at the end of each semester.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How I use in my classroom:
1. Students are not allowed to remove the dry erase marker until the teacher gives directions.

2. Right handed students put the sock buddy on their left hand and have the eraser at their finger tips...literally!

3. Left handed students do the opposite...they put the sock buddy on their right hand and are ready to get busy!

4. When practice time is completed, all students put the lid on the markers and return the marker to the inside of the sock..."so it can rest, in the dark"!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So...are you headed to your sock drawer or your missing socks pile in your laundry room yet?   I've even put a request on my newsletter in the past and had parents bring me bags of  SOCK BUDDIES.

No comments :

Post a Comment