Wednesday, July 10, 2013

"Frugal Teaching?" Series: Tip #1

Because of the struggling economy, there is a lot of talk these days about frugality and saving money or cutting corners whenever possible.  As for teachers, there is very little in the way of classroom funds whether from adopters, local governments, or even parents.  This leads teachers to fund their own classroom activities and supplies.  Now, teachers are not paid six figure incomes.  As a matter of fact, some single teachers would qualify for an EBT card, especially if they have children!  I would love to do a series of posts over the next few weeks on the subject of "FRUGAL TEACHING" for the public school teacher!  If you have any tips or ideas that save your hard earned limited paycheck for your family, please share.

Frugal Teaching Tip #1 - Save Envelopes from Junk Mail

My drawer of junk mail envelopes!
I'm really not sure what prompted me to begin this practice, but it has saved me from buying boxes and boxes of envelopes or sandwich bags.  Since I've always taught elementary school children, I've always requested that parents/guardians send any money and permission notes to school in envelopes/sandwich bags labeled with all pertinent information.  Many times, this practice does not happen so I end up spending my classroom allotted money or my own personal money on those items (which, unfortunately usually gets  ripped open and thrown away shortly after being turned in).

You may be thinking, "Envelopes? Sandwich bags?  Those don't cost THAT much."  Well, since I teach math I began to do the figuring.  I agree, a couple boxes of each for one school year doesn't cost that much...but, multiply that by how many years you've been teaching and possibly providing the same items for your own  children's classroom teachers!

Here's my example using a box of 100 all purpose envelopes and a box of 100 sandwich bags you can pick up at just about any local retailer...
approximate cost $1.65

$1.65 x 2 = $3.30 for 2 boxes per school year
$3.30 x 14 = $46.20 over the passed  14 years

approximate cost $2.98

$2.98 x 2 = $5.96 for 2 boxes per school year
$5.96 x 14 = $83.44 over the passed 14 years

Total cost for 14 years of teacher funded envelopes and sandwich bags... $129.64


That's not a lot of money for 14 years, but I had much rather have it in my bank account!  Not to mention, the impact on the environment with more and more throw away products!  Just this summer while taking a break from the classroom, I have collected a whole drawer full of junk mail envelopes to use this year.  Give it a try!  Put it on your newsletters and request parents to do the same.  Be sure to have a designated space in your classroom for the envelopes that pour in and count the change you save...it will add up!

No comments :

Post a Comment